You might be interested in seeing what is possible through reverse
scaffolding. [1] I've used something like this before to get jump
started. If you only need models defined you can adjust it to only use
the generators you need. The next problem will likely be if the
database does not follow Rails naming conventions, because you'll have
to explicitly state table and column names (e.g. primary and foreign
keys) in your ActiveRecord models. When I tried to do that once I
found it to be quite a lot of work. I was working with a database
under my control which followed no convention very well, so I decided
to migrate the whole database to use Rails naming conventions instead.

Jason

[1] May not work with Rails 3 but should give some idea of the
approach. https://github.com/ahe/reverse_scaffold