I hear what Kyle is saying, which reminds me about a UC Berkeley
computing professor who made a forceful argument that the best
persistent URL was an appropriately constructed "I'm feeling lucky"
Google search, and there is certainly something to be said for that.

Having said that, I think there is a role for libraries in minting --
and more importantly, consistently supporting -- identifiers for
content. And if so, EZID seems like a good tool to do that.
Roy