Cindy, I think this might be possible, depending on the provider.  I
have a site on Site5 and this seems pretty doable (it looks like I
might have even tried this at some point, since I seem to have a
compiled version of yaz in my home directory).  It would probably take
some rooting around in the forums to see how people successfully are
installing PECL extensions and it might take a few tries to compile
yaz successfully (since if it triggers their usage monitor, they'll
kill the process), but I think it would be worth a shot.  I would
definitely recommend this before jumping to a VPS (and let's be
realistic, everybody, if you're being this blasee about running a VPS,
you are either investing some time/expertise sys admining it or you
have an insecure server waiting to be exploited).

Good luck!
-Ross.