Generally PDFs are capable of displaying two types of information: Vector
and Raster.

Vector information is composed of lossless data that describes points,
smooth lines, gradients, and curves. Vector information is lossless and has
no native resolution, it can be infinitely scaled. Text data is understood
as vector information if we were to regard textual documents as images.
Generally, when composing a document in a word processor and printing it to
a PDF results in the text as actual vector shapes -- you can zoom-in on the
text as much as you'd like. PDF readers understand this information as
native text you can select the text with a cursor, search the text, and
copy/paste. Other formats like SVG and ESP generally express vector
information.

Raster information is composed of pixels. JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF are
examples of raster information. These have a definite resolution, and, from
a computing perspective, are just a bunch of dots. When you scan an image
(or a document), it is digitally translated a raster. Digital photographs
are raster. There are some techniques using Optical Character Recognition
(OCR) which can actually recognize characters in a raster image and
transform them into text data. There are also procedures to do a "bitmap
trace" to attempt to create vector information from a raster image.

More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics