Thanks Ed.

Note that the URI without the trailing slash does a 303 (Linked Data) redirect to the URI with the slash. Doing a 301 back would create a redirect loop.

VIAF uses the trailing slash URI to support the Linked Data Cool URIs pattern called "303 URIs forwarding to One Generic Document" <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument>. Unfortunately, I didn't heed the warning documented in the alternative pattern called "303 URIs forwarding to Different Documents" <http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303uri>: "When the RDF and HTML representations of the resource differ substantially, the previous setup should not be used."

Unfortunately, the die is probably cast. The HTML negotiated from the current generic resource is destined to deliver a user-interface experience that has very little correlation with the RDF. I have an idea for a solution, but it will require some effort to implement. :-(

Jeff