> Is it really true that newline characters are not allowed in a marc
> value?

Yes.

  CONTROL FUNCTION CODES [1]

  Eight characters are specifically designated as control characters for MARC 21 use:

  - escape character, 1B(hex) in MARC-8 and Unicode encoding
  - subfield delimiter, 1F(hex) in MARC-8 and Unicode encoding
  - field terminator, 1E(hex) in MARC-8 and Unicode encoding
  - record terminator, 1D(hex) in MARC-8 and Unicode encoding
  - non-sorting character(s) begin, 88(hex) in MARC-8 and 98(hex) in Unicode encoding
  - non-sorting character(s) end, 89(hex) in MARC-8 and 9C(hex) in Unicode encoding
  - joiner, 8D(hex) in MARC-8 and 200D (hex) in Unicode encoding
  - nonjoiner, 8E(hex) in MARC-8 and 200C (hex) in Unicode encoding.

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specchargeneral.html#controlfunction

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington