Multi-word synonyms are tricky.

You probably want to make sure this synonym is only expanded at index
time, and not at search time. See some background in the
SynonymFilterFactory section of
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters

I think the synonym approach is a fine way to search for greek letters
by name; it's possible some of the new Unicode stuff in Solr 3.1 might
expand greek letters too, but I think actually probably not (because you
don't neccesarily want that in the general case), I think synonyms is
probably your best bet. (Same for things like expanding the musical
sharp or flat glyph to "sharp" or "flat", which I've considered).