Modern Information retrieval is certainly an authoritative text on IR. You might be good searching for ACM SIGIR references on TFxIDF or BM25 by Stephen Robertson and Karen sparck-jones. From the 70s. These were retrieval algorithms that significantly improved precision and recall of keyword search systems.

These algorthms, or modern evolutions of, are embedded in things like solr/lucene now as standard. (apologies if you know all this).

This would only apply really of you were doing fullyext indexing of databases. Retrieving by specific metadata in a field is a different ballgame.

You can also look at average precision, which assesses the top N results or mean average precision that does takes a mean over M queries. In general it's assumed that if you increase recall (get more related results) you'll reduce precision (get more unrelated too) and so increasing precision (removing unrelated results) may reduce recall (removing some good ones by mistake)

Hope some of that us useful. And not patronising (I'm just sort of sitting on the fence of this email list).

Max

Sent from my iPhone