Thanks to all for the info and suggestions - we'll have a look at them.

Via another route I've had http://snowtide.com/PDFTextStream recommended (commercial, but looks like they are generally open to offering academic licenses for free at least for a limited period) - anyone tried that?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com