If I'm hiring a programmer, I want them to know C and Python.  C because
all the low-level stuff is written in that, Python because it's simply
the most useful all-around programming language at the moment, and if
you don't know it, well, how devoted are you really to your craft?

Various flavors of C are acceptable:  Objective-C is OK with me, and C++
is a plus -- it's an order of magnitude more difficult than C to use
properly, and people who can sling it properly are rare.  Additional
languages which carry weight with me on a resume are OCaml, Processing,
and any of Common Lisp, Scheme, or Clojure.

If I was hiring a digital *librarian*, I'd also expect them to know
Javascript, the language at the heart of the EPUB format.  But
Javascript is kind of tricky; it's a subtle powerful language with bad
syntax and weak libraries.  I certainly wouldn't recommend it to start
with.

Cary Gordon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There are still plenty of opportunities for Cobol coders, but I
> wouldn't recommend that either.

Java is the COBOL of the 21st century, so if you know Java well, there
will be a job in that for the next 20-30 years, I'd expect.  Until the
Singularity happens, anyway.  I'd think there will always be lots of
enterprise Java jobs around.

Bill