As others have mentioned, you have to know what problem you're trying to
solve before you start looking at solutions.  Crazy, I know...

We're looking at a virtual lab environment because we don't have a lot of
qualified lab managers in departments that refuse to allow central IT to
manage their labs.  Long story, politics, etc...  But for this scenario we
can provide custom images with the right software and better access all the
while freeing up a room.  Basically the student can access the lab image
from their own machine or any other machine without needed to be in a
physical lab.  This is great if you don't need any special hardware in the
lab.

Also, as previously mentioned, if you can't cover 100% of the desktops what
is the cost going to be to have two ways of managing desktops and will the
savings in going virtual cover the added cost of doing the same thing two
ways?  Exceptions cost money and seem to rarely be factored into the final
bill.

Server virtualization has been wonderful though.  Savings in electricity are
real[1].  Physical servers are still called in when needed (Oracle, etc).
 If you want to start somewhere, this is the place.

Pat

[1] Sorry, I don't have the numbers but I've been told they're real.