Exiftool [1] and trusty ImageMagick [2] will work.  With ImageMagick it is as easy as:

convert image.tiff image.xmp

Members of the Visual Resources Association (VRA) have been working on/with embedded metadata for a few years now.  There may be something more to glean from the working group's wiki [3].

Cordially,

Kevin

[1] http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
[2] http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php