From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Genny Engel
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 2:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Trends with virtualization

I *had* the entire computer lab go down when the network failed once.  That's when I switched it all to local desktops.  The security was way easier to manage with a hosted desktop (I basically didn't have to manage it at all) but we weren't set up to offer any alternative when the network server hiccupped.   It took me a lot of time to learn how to set up adequate security on an individual desktop, but once I got a good profile set up, I copied the image to all the other PCs and we were set.  There weren't any equipment cost differences either way, as I recall.

On moving things to the cloud, I'm still leery, especially after that Amazon thing a few months ago.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1379474/Web-chaos-Amazon-cloud-failure-crashes-major-websites-Playstation-Network-goes-AGAIN.html

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian
Sonoma County Library