I think that by taking the C class, it will start you on a long road
towards programming - some of the topics you may encounter may not be
immediately applicable to your RoR or PHP learning experiences, but it
should provide you a nice foundation in problem solving (from a
programming perspective) and possibly a starting base in
object-oriented programming.  The ability of working and learning with
others in a classroom setting could potentially provide insight and
feedback as a collective learning environment.

I suppose the only thing I would worry about in a classroom setting
would be the pace.  Sometimes if I'm really gearing up to learn
something new, I'd prefer doing my own research through StackOverflow
and a Wrox intro book rather than a classroom.  That way, it lets me
move along at my own pace, skipping the rudimentary lessons and
focusing more intently on what it is I'm there to learn.

Mark A. Pernotto