On 09/08/2011 14:38, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> The Internet Archive's Book Reader might also fit into your model:
>
> http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
> http://code.google.com/p/iabv/

I recall finding this and thinking it cool, but that it's only a
frontend library (i.e. JS/CSS); I'm chiefly interested (at this point)
in the backend data storage, metadata, structure, indexing, etc.

Thanks to the recommenders of XTF, looks like this is what I hadn't
stumbled across before.

Calibre seems to be a tool to manage and perhaps share one's personal
ebook collection, but not for hosting.

Forgot to mention in my initial salvo: I tried toying around with
Drupal. We built our main website in D6. I looked at D7 for this, and
was left with the impression that the D7 data model and Field API
(really the API) is complex enough that it's not worth learning it
unless you're going to be developing Drupal apps on a serious and
continuous basis.

I truly could not fathom the API calls involved in doing anything
interesting with content types, etc. Like spending 45 minutes wading
through docs and tuts to write a few lines of field-definition code. And
not being able to do it again the next day. May as well just create my
own tables, but that defeats the whole point of using the Drupal APIs.
Sorry for hijacking my own thread into a Drupal rant :) If anybody knows
of any magical tutorials, let me know.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager

Access Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]