I would think most users would expect a unique hit, yeah, the
expectation is generally that a link like that is an 'identifier'
representing a single record.  That's even kind of implied by the word
particular record, rather than to "search results".

The most inconvenient case is going to be when there are two (or more)
hits for a given LCCN, and one of them represents a correct match, and
one a cancelled/invalid match.   The client software in question may end
up using the 'wrong' hit.

It's not a problem unless an 010$z on one record has not been re-used as
an 010$a on a different record.  But it's not entirely clear to me in
what cases this may occur.

Perhaps the documentation could discuss this issue, and make it clear
that multiple record can come back from a permalink, and give some
examples of cases where this might occur, especially cases where an
010$z on one (or more) record is also an 010$a on one (and only ever
one, I think? There can't be the same 010$a on two different records can
there?) record.