Please excuse cross-postings.
Please do not reply to me with any questions about this position, as I am posting it on behalf of a colleague.
For questions, please contact Chris Hoebeke, at [log in to unmask]
Closing date: October 31, 2011
The World Maritime University is seeking an assistant librarian with strong technology skills to help transition its library from a small but selective print collection to a global center of maritime information. While expanding support for the university curriculum and traditional faculty research, the library aims to create an extensible online platform for hosting, managing and sharing data and services among the maritime community. Commitment to Open Source is critical, not only to save costs, but to foster open standards and protocols that will facilitate community-wide collaboration. While duties will chiefly involve library technology development, the selected candidate will perform general library work as needed on behalf of a student body and faculty recruited literally from around the world. Working cheerfully and energetically in a diverse environment is expected. Fluency in English is required.
The positions offer an attractive salary, free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses.
Start date: Ideally by 1 Feb 2012, but start date negotiable for the right candidate.
Duties: Responsible for library technology deployment and initiatives, the assistant librarian will:
· Build and maintain library public portal, implementing IP proxying and single-sign on solutions, and integrating third party bibliographic databases and local resources via federated searching, data mashing, and social linking.
· Plan and implement a multi-user, multi-project content management system, which can be integrated with maritime-related data feeds, reference management software and services, and social networking applications.
· Advise librarian in replacing and expanding existing digital repository.
· Participate in the development and maintenance of the Koha library management system.
· Assist with reference and circulation duties on occasion.
· Participate in building library staff portal that facilitates documentation of procedures, simplifies access to third-party staff resources, and integrates with university systems.
· Advise university IT on library technology matters; assist university IT as needed.
Qualifications: Candidates must have a master’s degree in library, information, or computer science or a bachelor’s degree and four years’ applicable experience. Minimum requirements are proficiency in LAMP server administration and web services delivery; strong programming skills in at least two of the following languages: Python, PhP, Ruby, Perl and/or Java; knowledge of one or more Open Source indexing systems (e.g., Solr, Zebra); Preferred: experience with Dublin Core meta data, MARC and MARC.XML bibliographic and authority standards; working knowledge of YAZ, Z39.50, SRU, and OAI protocols; familiarity with Dspace and/or Fedora Commons digital library platforms; experience solving online authorization and authentication issues; web administration or design expertise using a major CMS application, preferably Drupal; Cloud computing and Google API experience a plus.
Application: Applicants should upload a single document to WMU's recruiter box containing the following sections, in order:
1. Letter of interest
2. Complete CV
3. URLs and descriptions of your roles in web projects of significance
4. Contact information of three references
About WMU: The World Maritime University was established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations. WMU wishes to enhance its role as a global centre of excellence for postgraduate education and research in the maritime field. WMU offers Master of Science programs in several maritime areas, and a Ph.D. in Maritime Administration. The main campus is in Malmö, Sweden, with branches in Shanghai and Dalian, China.
Librarian, World Maritime University
PO Box 500 S-201 24 Malmö, Sweden
Phone: +46 40 35 63 41
Fax: +46 40 12 84 42
To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link: