While this is probably beating a dead horse at this point, I have a
basic implementation of this in JavaScript, covering ISBN-10 and
ISBN-13, as well as EAN (UPC) and ISSN:
https://github.com/ajlyon/identifiers-js

In case someone is interested. One issue is that apparently, if
Wikipedia is to be believed, there are books out there issued with
ISBNs that aren't valid, so any strong enforcement using the check
digit may lead to the occasional issue.

Avram
UCLA Slavic

[..]