ABBYY sdk does have a linux option which can be driven from the command
line. I'm not sure if the linux version is having as active development as
the windows one, as the linux sdk is one major behind the windows one, but
the linux ocr engine  for that version had some improvements over the
corresponding windows one.

There are demo versions for download of most systems, and I think that it
shouldn't be too hard for NYPL to get sales reps and loaner set-ups.

Simon