Hi,
I thought it was a Javascript implementation of the Silverlight DeepZoom
code, but I'm not sure either.

The IIPImage server supports various protocols and clients. From a jpeg2000
or pyramidal tiff it can stream tiles conforming to DeepZoom, Internet
Image Protocol (IIP) and Zoomify protocols. This allows it to work with
lots of clients including IIPMooviewer, OpenSeaDragon/SeadragonAjax,
Zoomify, OpenZoom, OpenLayers, PanoJS, JIIPImage (and maybe Silverlight,
I'm not sure). There are demos on the IIPImage site [1] and some more on
the Old Maps Online site [2].

Coming at it from the client-side, the IIPMooviewer 2.0 beta can display
tiles from any of the IIPImage Server protocols, but it can also load
pre-generated DeepZoom/OpenSeadragon/DZI or Zoomify tiles without the need
for an image server.

Eoghan

[1] http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/demo/
[2] http://help.oldmapsonline.org/jpeg2000/