We use LinkScan to check the 856 fields for those monograph and serials
records that have them. Every week, the catalog dumps an export of record
numbers, titles, and 856 fields into a big file for each category of
record. LinkScan runs through them, reporting on broken links for
monographs and serials. The group in our Technical Services department
responsible for the data uses the report to clean things up.

Our catalog has about 8 million records, but obviously far fewer serials
and monographs with 856 fields.

The review is manual and sporadic -- the reports get looked at regularly,
but probably not as often as they are run.

Standard

--
Ken Varnum
Web Systems Manager                   E: [log in to unmask]