Expanding on Diane's "enough for what?", I see a lot of gradations
possible in this task.

Minimally, I can establish entity records for three persons, each of
whom is assigned a unique ID:
  John Smith, ID=123
  John Smith, ID=456
  John Smith, ID=789
I decide to do this because I have three resources, each created by a
John Smith, and judgment leads me to believe that they're all
different people. If my identities are each linked by ID to their own
resource, then one could argue that the above metadata is enough; but
that takes for granted a set of additional relationships maintained on
resource records which provide the actual differentiating metadata.
(In its beginnings, the LC Name Authority File worked a lot like this,
depending on access to the LC bib file for proper identification. One
might need to look up an LC bib record to determine, say, what field
"Smith, John" worked in, since the authority found "Study of the
impact of ..., 1972" to be enough.)

But suppose the identity records are meant to carry more of their  own
weight. Copying the titles associated with the differentiated entities
into their identity records as relationship information goes some way
in this direction; but we're still depending on an implicit judgment
by the entity record creator that these are distinct persons. A
computer would have a hard time making this sort of determination just
from words in titles. So maybe we bring some more metadata from our
resource records into the entity records--date and place of
publication, publisher, co-creator names, etc. These kinds of metadata
might give us a bit more confidence in doing automated evaluation of
whether two entities are different, and whether either should be
associated with a new resource by "John Smith."

But if we really want confident differentiation, we need metadata that
varies distinctly between individuals--birth date, for instance, or
full names (John Arthur Smith vs. John Baxter Smith), city of birth,
etc. We've had these sorts of things in LCNAF headings for just this
reason. Now under the influence of RDA, MARC and future entity
description models are moving toward clearly marking these kinds of
potentially distinguishing facts in the metadata about the entity.
But note that while such facts may be enough for distinguishing two
persons, they may be useless for determining whether one of them
created a particular resource. For that, facts about each person's
work and works may be much more useful. Those facts too are getting
more attention in RDA and data models oriented toward faceted
information about entities.

So, while it's "enough" to have a trusted colleague's assertion that
John Smith 123 and John Smith 456 are different persons, access to
additional metadata about the two Smiths could bring such
determinations within the reach of machine logic, and could support
decisions about how each one should be related to other entities and
to resources. OCLC's current work on VIAF, determining which
authorities can be clustered and which shouldn't be, and past work on
aggregating information about creators from bib data potentially to
guide name heading assignment for additional bib records, demonstrate
the extent to which the metadata currently in national authority files
support these two metadata-driven tasks.

Having said all that, in the absence of clearly differentiating facts
and within a single authority system, I'd still put my faith in the
entity description creator's judgment that this John Smith and that
John Smith are different, as expressed in the creation of two entity
descriptions with distinct IDs. In a well managed system, the unique
ID is itself a crucial assertion on which all the other metadata
depends.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries