Thanks everyone who helped put on the conference in Seattle last week.
Here's my first stab at why I think the code4lib community is awesome:
http://www.tararobertson.ca/welcome-to-code4lib/

I was reluctant to go to code4lib in the past, as I’d heard it was a
hostile environment for women.While I’ve heard about a couple of crappy
incidents in the past, this was by far the most welcoming tech event I
have ever been to. I went to Apachecamp during ApacheconNA and there was
a lot of discussion about sexual harassment and the Ada Initiative's
Anti Harassment policy:
http://adainitiative.org/2011/12/example-conference-anti-harassment-policy-turns-one-year-old/

I appreciate the work that people have done to create a culture that is
welcoming to women and is about making technology in libraries better.
code4lib is a great example of how to proactively nurture the kind of
community we want to be in, instead of having to legislate a code of
behaviour.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this...

Cheers,
Tara
--

tara robertson systems and technical services librarian, library | tel
604 630 4567

emily carr university of art + design <http://www.ecuad.ca> | 1399
Johnston Street, Vancouver BC V6H 3R9