Sure.

What I had said in my email was "Long-term secure preservation of the
decryption keys themselves is typically raised as a concern, although
personally I feel that solutions to this problem are straightforward,
albeit complex."

I view this as a compound problem that requires a combination of
preservation storage principles and security principles to solve.

First, the preservation storage part. There have to be multiple copies
of the keys. Organizations doing digital preservation should be
operating at multiple sites, and so it should be straightforward to take
advantage of this to place copies at the multiple sites - the more the
better.

Second, the security part. The keys themselves obviously have to be
secured in some way. This can be done with either additional encryption
or physical security, ie a locking safe, or both. The key point is that
this chain ultimately ends in human knowledge, i.e., people have to know
secrets. The trick is ensuring that enough people know enough secrets to
eventually lead to the encryption keys. Providing office staff at
multiple sites with combinations to safes that contain the encrypted
encryption keys that a more privileged group of repository
administrators know the secret for is an example of adding multiple
layers into the scheme.

It is tempting, of course, to think of disaster scenarios where all
secrets are lost. It's my assertion that this can in turn be addressed
with multiple sites.

It's impossible to reduce the risk of data loss due to lost keys to zero
without undermining the encryption itself, but my point is that the risk
can be brought into an acceptable range with a scheme that is
well-thought-out by using technology and policy frameworks that we, as
organizations doing digital preservation, ostensibly already possess.