For what it's worth, my patch was a stopgap measure, and acknowledged as
such at the time. My proposal for a real, comprehensive solution was
detailed in a comment in a (now-closed) issue Github ticket[1].

If I'd had the time and the knowledge, I would have implemented it that
way. If I'd had the need, I would have made the time and gained the
knowledge. As it was, I submitted a patch to make Unicode handling (a)
better than it was, and (b) work as well as I needed it to.

[1] https://github.com/edsu/pymarc/issues/7#issuecomment-501460