If you are using a linux system, you can get the information by looking at
/proc/net/wireless, or by running "iwlist scan".

If you're running mac os, there's a command line program for doing
wirelessy things -
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport
You can scan for access points by running airport -s .  This will give list
the access points with their signal strength.
Extra information is available if you run airport -s -x , which returns an
xml .plist file.

There is a man page. It's special.

You might want to write extra code to automatically generate a critical
ticket with the networking department if the signal strength drops below a
justifiable-to-management level.  NOC based monitoring may improve soon
thereafter.

Simon