Jonathan -- thanks so much for tackling this monster.

I haven't done anything but run the tests, and while they all pass in MRI
1.9, they all fail under jruby 1.6.7 in 1.9 mode, and one fails
(test_read_write(XMLTest)) in 1.8 mode.

I'll try to find some time to look and see what you're doing that might be
MRI specific.

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer