The discussions at the MARC standards group relating to Unicode all had
to do with using Unicode *within* ISO2709. I can't find any evidence
that MARCXML ever went through the standards process. (This may not be a
bad thing.) So none of what we know about the MARBI discussions and
resulting standards can really help us here, except perhaps by analogy.

In LC's own example on the MARCXML page (the Sandburg example) the
Leader is copied without change from the ISO2709/MARC-8 record to the
MARCXML/Unicode record -- in other words, it still has a blank in offset
09, which means "MARC-8". (The XML record is UTF-8.) My gut feeling is
that the Leader in MARCXML should be treated like the human appendix --
something that once had a use, but is now just being carried along for
historical reasons. I would not expect it to reflect the XML record
within which it is embedded. Unfortunately, it is the only source of
some key information, like type of record. The more I think about it,
the more MARCXML strikes me as a really messed-up format.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net