Mid-level LAMP Developer (Lower Manhattan)

Reports to: Associate Director of Libraries
FLSA: Exempt
Location: Lower Manhattan

About Touro College
-------------------

Touro is a system of Jewish-sponsored non-profit institutions of higher
and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970
primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger
American community. Approximately 19,000 students are currently enrolled
in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has branch campuses,
locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as
branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, Paris, and
Florida. Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus, as
well as Touro College Los Angeles and Touro University Worldwide, are
separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and
University System. For further information on Touro College, please go
to: http://www.touro.edu/media/.

Job Summary
-----------

Touro seeks a self-directed developer/sysadmin committed to excellent
user service, to maintain and grow our web presence. Management is
non-technical, so the Developer will be required to take initiative in
planning the Libraries' web projects and overall direction, as well as
keeping up to date on web and mobile practice, and bringing it to our
sites. Our week is 35 hours with no expectation of working after hours,
excepting server emergencies.

We run Drupal 6, Mediawiki and several MVC applications on a single
Ubuntu server. Our stack includes nginx, symfony, Kohana, jQuery, Apache
Solr, MySQL, Nagios, and Puppet. One full-time support technician
reports to this position. Some of our sites are:

- http://www.tourolib.org/ (Drupal)
- http://www.tidhar.tourolib.org/ (Kohana, Solr search)
- http://facpubs.tourolib.org/ (symfony)

Job Responsibilities
--------------------

Includes the following but not limited to:

- web development
- systems administration
- user support
- occasional training of non-technical library staff
- participation in college-wide IT committee

Requirements
------------

### Education, Preparation, and Training

- Bachelor's degree

### Skills

- Project management experience
- User support background
- Desirable but not required: library experience, especially integrated
   library systems (we use III); knowledge of Hebrew

### Physical Demands

- Extensive Use of Computers
- Extensive time sitting
- Ability to lift 5 lbs.

### Computer Skills

- 2+ years PHP experience on LAMP
- Hand-coding of HTML, CSS, JavaScript
- DVCS (we use git)
- Linux command line
- Apache or nginx configuration
- Experience with CMS, including management of contributed modules
- Desirable but not required: Drupal, symphony, nginx configuration,
   Basic Perl experience, Experience compiling software from source
   (we do this for PHP and nginx)

### Travel

None

To apply, send resume, cover letter, and code samples to

No calls or third parties, please.

Touro College is committed to the principles of equal employment
opportunity. Our practices and employment decisions regarding
employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, and other terms
and conditions of employment are not to be based on an employee's race,
color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry,
military discharge status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic
predisposition, housing status, or any other protected status, in
accordance with applicable law. Our policies are in conformance with
Title IX, 1972 Education Amendments