Hi Andrea,

I'm aware of a number of threads of research, from the 'micro' to
'macro' level...

If time is short, start with these:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/edf0k68ccw3a22hu/
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1080343.1080346&coll=DL&dl=ACM&CFID=78882852&CFTOKEN=38740685
http://www.mendeley.com/research/open-provenance-model-core-specification-v11-7/

More ...

- Margo Seltzer (as you mention) is well-known for research focusing
on automated collection of provenance information from the hardware
layer. See: http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/margo/papers/  . My impression
is that this is fundamental experimental work, not production stage,
and "micro" level.

- Peter Buneman has done fundamental work in tracking provenance
within databases, the work is broader -- it has applications in
citation and versioning. When last I talked with him, he has some
software one can use in applications -- but not really production.

This list of his pubs is a bit out of date, maybe better to use ACM or Gscholar:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/opb/homepagefiles/pubs.html

- Juliana Freire http://vgc.poly.edu/~juliana/#pubs and  Paul Groth
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/paul-groth/ are doing broader work in
modeling and supporting provenance across entire workflows (within
workflow systems). Very interesting, and Julaina's "vistrails" system
is quite usable in production.

- Henry Gladney is not writing much anymore, but did some provocative
work in provenance at archival time-scales. This is the only attempt
that I know of to define formal computational properties of digital
preservation systems (though I vaguely recall some of Hector
Garcia-Molina's team working on this 15 years ago -- so they probably
did publish something related):
http://www.hgladney.com/hmgpubs.htm

best,

Micah

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Goethals, Andrea
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Are any of you aware of or have knowledge about the study of provenance in computer science? Over the last few years I've come across technical workshops, research, etc. in this area and it has me curious if this is one of those areas where we could benefit from some cross-domain pollination because we're also interested in provenance. Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
>
> TaPP 2012 : 4th USENIX Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance
> http://www.wikicfp.com/cfp/servlet/event.showcfp?eventid=20432&copyownerid=9119
>
> PASS: Provenance-Aware Storage Systems
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/syrah/pass/
>
> PASS was/is? A Harvard project so I could ask  someone here about it if there's interest.
>
> Andrea Goethals
> Digital Preservation and Repository Services Manager
> Harvard Library Office for Information Systems
> (617) 495-3724

> write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
> or click the following link:
> http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE&A=1

Micah Altman, Ph.D. <http://micahaltman.com>           Twitter: @drmaltman
Director of Research -- MIT Libraries; Head/Scientist, Program on
Information Science
Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate" - Doctor Invincibilis
(Corollary, "Ad indicia spectate.")