I'd think it would depend on what you plan to do with the coordinates once
you have them stored.  If you intend to do anything at all complicated
(spatial queries, KML generation, your own custom maps, area/volume
calculations), you might want to consider a spatial database extension (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_database).

I've used the SQLite SpatiaLite and Postgres PostGIS extensions, and
they're fairly straightforward to setup.

HTH,

matt