As has already been mentioned, this totally depends on what you want to
do with it. In our digital repository we have a policy of storing points
(and polygons) as WKT. It's a well documented standard format that is
supported by most GIS libraries. Since we're not doing any GIS queries
directly from the repository it works fine.

For our applications that require polygon comparisons, the data gets
stored natively as polygons in PostGIS. For mapping applications that
are built around points, using Solr's built in LatLon type can be a
great option. For our geobrowse application
(http://www.lib.unc.edu/dc/geobrowse/) our points are just stored in
Solr as separate float fields, because all we're doing is plotting them
on a map.

I guess for us, we've found that multiple formats work best.

Mike