You might want to check out the BASE system from Bielefeld, Germany (http://www.base-search.net), which have access to a lot of OA sources, and implemented an  classification system (metadata+fulltext) for DDC themselves on a semi-automatic generated training corpus across all disciplines (might also be useful as a benchmark). They reported last year, that ~1,4% of their OA metadata had manually assigned subject classification on it .

Regards,
Rene