On 8/22/12 2:56 PM, Richard Wallis wrote:
> Hi Karen,
>
> I was not ignoring you previous question about where, in Marc terms, data
> was coming from.  I need to talk with someone who was in the core of the
> processing that produces the data.  Unfortunately I am currently being
> thwarted by vacations.

Richard, I understand, and apologize if I appeared to be pushing too
hard. In my own experience, requests for documentation are met with
groans, especially by folks who'd rather be "doing something useful,"
like writing code. Unfortunately, it really helps to explain what you've
done.

I think I've solved the question of where the place of publication comes
from: 260 $a. The differences between the Web version and the triples
version is in punctuation. I'm still looking at examples, but it's a
slog since I'm re-creating records in the triples file with my minimal
knowledge of "grep" -- a hammer, but the best darned hammer there is.
Here are some examples:

File:

<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/43836713>
<http://purl.org/library/placeOfPublication>
_:AX2dX40d4c600X3aX138a12b56f9X3aXX2dX49b9
_:AX2dX40d4c600X3aX138a12b56f9X3aXX2dX49b9 <http://schema.org/name> "New
York"

Web: (Using RDFa It Firefox plugin [1])
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/43836713> a schema:Book;
       library:placeOfPublication [ a schema:Place;
          schema:name "New York :"@en ];

File:
_:A52eb8ca1X3aX138a1313c61X3aXX2dX7536 <http://schema.org/name> "Garden
City, N.Y." .
_:A52eb8ca1X3aX138a1313c61X3aXX2dX7536
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://schema.org/Place> .
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/524483>
<http://purl.org/library/placeOfPublication>
_:A52eb8ca1X3aX138a1313c61X3aXX2dX7536 .

Web:
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/524483> a schema:Book;
     library:holdingsCount "803"@en;
     library:oclcnum "524483"@en;
     library:placeOfPublication [ a schema:Place;
             schema:name "Garden City, N.Y.,"@en ];

Another piece of information is that each instance of a place of
publication string is given a new identity:

_:AX2dX44931a01X3aX138a139ed19X3aXX2dX600d <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX44a4d9f9X3aX138a132b9d9X3aXX2dX4efe <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX44a4d9f9X3aX138a1378e1dX3aXX2dX1d8d <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX45b46946X3aX138a139141cX3aXX2dX7073 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4a6da202X3aX138a1387049X3aXX2dX7bcc <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4b32d4b9X3aX138a1316a9bX3aXX2dX5f92 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4b5c4da3X3aX138a135d400X3aXX2dX515e <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4b93edacX3aX138a1314f3eX3aXX2dX58e9 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4c810b47X3aX138a134150cX3aXX2dX5b77 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4f8be47aX3aX138a12b4eb9X3aXX2dX1677 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX4f8be47aX3aX138a12b4eb9X3aXX2dX23e1 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .
_:AX2dX52ad903aX3aX138a12d336bX3aXX2dX5389 <http://schema.org/name>
"Garden City, N.Y." .

Where punctuation doesn't cloud the picture, these could eventually be
linked to:
   http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50068040.html
and:
   http://www.geonames.org/5118226/garden-city.html

and in that way could have a shared identity.

kc

p.s. Richard and I are on a list with someone who has loaded the triples
into a database. I will ask if we can announce it here, and will also
try to figure out how to use the SPARQL endpoint and provide some
examples, if that is ok with the dc:creator of the database.

[1]
javascript:location.href='http://www.w3.org/2012/pyRdfa/extract?format=turtle&uri='+escape(location.href)