The Internet Archive has released over 1MM items on bittorrent,
including old PD books, movies, TV commercials, and librivox audio books.

http://blog.archive.org/2012/08/07/over-1000000-torrents-of-downloadable-books-music-and-movies/

Brewster Kahle says ...

"BitTorrent is the now fastest way to download items from the Archive,
because the BitTorrent client downloads simultaneously from two
different Archive servers located in two different datacenters, and from
other Archive users who have downloaded these Torrents already. The
distributed nature of BitTorrent swarms and their ability to retrieve
Torrents from local peers may be of particular value to patrons with
slower access to the Archive, for example those outside the United
States or inside institutions with slow connections."

http://blog.bittorrent.com/2012/08/07/the-internet-archive-releases-over-1000000-files-of-freely-downloadable-music-movies-and-books-via-bittorrent/

BitTorrent says ...

"We’re committed to building a sustainable future that empowers creative
content, effects the social good and ultimately persuades institutional
change. We were happy to find that our interests align with those of the
Internet Archive as we strive to protect and maintain society’s cultural
artifacts – creating new ways to discover media and share it worldwide.
Combined with the vast amount of content from the Internet Archive and
the size and scope of the BitTorrent community, this is truly a worthy
cause and we look forward to continuing to build new content solutions
for the digital world."