Here's touting our own site:
http://www.library.vcu.edu/
http://search.library.vcu.edu

This search is using a hosted instance of Ex Libris' Primo. So I'm not sure
we qualify as technologically sophisticated in terms of coding our own
discovery layer. I do think we are exemplary for simplicity of the search
layer, using the combined everything (catalog + journal articles + local
digital collections) as the default. These scoped searches are only
available through advanced search. We have broken out of the tab-crazy
UI. What is especially interesting I think about our case is that shortly
this Fall our OPAC will completely disappear, as we are one of the early
adopters of Alma which uses Primo as its front end.

We have been running the following aggressive stop sign for links into the
catalog since summer without great uproar:
http://www.library.vcu.edu/catalog/

So, we are "all in" for a single search solution. I had many reservations
about this direction at first with great attachment to developing and
featuring a separate search for the traditional catalog dressed up in
discovery. Some of my colleagues did a good job challenging these
assumptions and pushing us forward.

--Jimmy

--
Jimmy Ghaphery