Hi list!

I have a technical question about formatting citation output which
some of you may have dealt with in the past. I see journal names and
their abbreviations listed three different ways:

ALL CAPS no periods:
http://images.webofknowledge.com/WOK46/help/WOS/A_abrvjt.html
Proper Case, with periods: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BIOS/j_abbr.html
Proper Case, no periods: http://home.ncifcrf.gov/research/bja/journams_a.html

As far as I'm aware, citations in published papers should always be
proper case, but are there any cases where a journal should be cited
without periods in the abbreviated form? I'm aware of the edge cases
like PLOS, JAMA, BMJ, but what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any
instances where a journal which is normally abbreviated as Anal.
Biochem. would instead be formatted as Anal Biochem (without periods)
in the references list/bibliography for a paper?

If anyone has dealt with this issue in the past, I'd love to hear what
you came up with. Thanks!

William Gunn
+1 646 755 9862
http://synthesis.williamgunn.org/about/

Support free access to scientific journal articles arising from
taxpayer-funded research: http://wh.gov/6TH