 > My (erroneous) assumption was that if a record did not have a broader
term (i.e. a 550 $wg value) then it would sit at the top of the subject
tree, and that they would be the very general subjects headings. As I
found this obviously not the case.
-- You're corrrect - LCSH doesn't work like this.  It's not a thesaurus.

 > Looking at our authority records it appears that it is not possible
to build a thesaurus like structure which shows the relationship between
terms.
-- Is that because your authority records do not have 5XX $wg's in them?
  Or because it is not a thesaurus?

All said, take a look at http://id.loc.gov/

ID has all of LCSH available as a bulk download in a couple of flavors
of RDF.  In the data, the broader and narrower relationships are
expressed.  You could grab one of those and work with the data locally.

Alternatively, you could use a combination of the label service [1] and
content-negotiation [2] to query for entries and then extract
broader/narrower relationships in real-time.  For example, this label
search will match the lexical word Hurricanes to its resource at ID.

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/label/Hurricanes

Following it, you'll get the HTML, but add a little content-negotation
and you can get something more computer friendly:

curl -L -H "Accept: application/rdf+xml"
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/label/Hurricanes

( There is a little short cut to the same - append ".rdf" to the end of
the label request, like so
"http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/label/Hurricanes.rdf", -
allowing you to sidestep the content-negotiation altogether.  Also works
for ".json" and ".nt")

In any event, you'll see the broader/narrowers in the output.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

[1] http://id.loc.gov/techcenter/searching.html#knownLabel
[2] http://id.loc.gov/techcenter/