Brian Stinson, LibraryThing's sysadmin is moving on-he's landed a job working
for Kansas State University, where he's getting a Political Science degree.
It's a great move for him. We're sad to see him go-and we need someone to step
into his shoes!

The Job: Part-time Sysadmin or Full-time Wizard?

After all the good work by Brian and John before him, and with support from
our our programmers, Mike Topper, Chris Holland and Chris Catalfo,
LibraryThing's systems administration is no longer a full-time job. Brian
worked part-time.

So we're looking to fill either:

  * Part-time sysadmin
  * Part-time sysadmin, part-time PHP programmer
As one of our programmers, Mike, has sysadmin experience, the proportion of
sysadmin-ing may be as low as 25%. But you need to be able to handle more than
that.

Systems Administrator

Qualifications: We're looking for someone with broad systems administration
experience, who can quickly pick up unfamiliar technologies, diagnose problems
and keep everything running smoothly. You need to be calm under pressure,
cautious and an excellent communicator. We're a small team, so when things
break at 4am, you need to be available.

Work Anywhere. LibraryThing is "headquartered" in Portland, Maine, but the
servers are in Boston and many employees are in neither. We never even MET our
last sysadmin--John in Tasmania.

Experience: Applicants need considerable experience running websites.
Experience in Linux systems administration is essential; we use RHEL and
CentOS, but you've probably got professional experience with at least half a
dozen distros. Experience with MySQL is also important, including replication,
monitoring and tuning. You will need to be able to demonstrate experience with
remote server administration including lights-out management techniques and
equipment.

Technologies. Here's a partial list of the technologies we use.

  * Apache
  * Nginx
  * Memcache
  * Solr
  * Subversion
  * PHP
  * Python
  * Bash shell scripting
  * Munin
  * rrdtool
  * Xen and KVM virtualization
  * NFS
  * LVM
  * iscsi
PHP Programmer

LibraryThing runs on PHP, MySQL and JavaScript. We also have work for mobile
app developers. Basically, we'd love to hear how you can help us.

You can find out more about our programming needs in this older post. If
you're applying as a programmer too, be sure to see and take the programming
quiz below.

Email: [log in to unmask] Send an email with your resume. In your
email, go through the sections of the blog post above, and indicate how you
match up with the job. Be specific.(1) Please do not send a cover letter.

If you want to stand out, go ahead and take the LibraryThing Programming Test.
We'll definitely ask you to take it before we interview you.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/4161/