On Oct 17, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Cary Gordon wrote:

> The "securely" part is a gotcha. I would venture a guess that whatever
> the gadget does to produce emails doesn't include encryption or key
> verification.

What do you qualify as 'securely'?

You scan the message & attachment to make sure it's valid, process it, and then either put it in place (if local) or scp over to the server that's doing the hosting.

If you're concerned about the e-mail itself being unsecure, then you have to look into what protocols the appliance supports.  If it does ASMTP (Authenticated SMTP) over TLS, then you're fine:

	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2554.txt

If it doesn't, well, then you set up a local mail relay that's firewalled off so that only the appliance can talk to it, and have that one do the processing / transfer.

We used to use these sorts of things at the university where I used to work.

One would process the class schedules (generated as a nightly report from the registration system), and make a series of pages for gopher (later modified to generate HTML).  Another was used so that authorized users could modify the 'university status' message (eg, closed due to snow) years before there were protocols such as webdav.

It's also quite useful for generating status pages based on cronjob messages.

-Joe