Some observations about conference-y stuff:

- Newcomer dinner groups tend to see a disproportionate n/v ratio, even
with some prodding to get more established members to participate and
disperse themselves out in the groups. Then again, I can't make things
mandatory, lest I get pelted with book snakes.
- Since 2009, I've noticed that the number of first time attendees range
between over 1/3 to roughly 1/2 of the conference crowd. [1]
- Even when it's not their first code4lib conference, people at their
second or third conference still identify as newbies, so these folks might
not be comfortable being mentors quite yet...

[1] Count taken from raised hands when asked the annual "How many
code4libcons you've attended" question

Thanks,
Becky, uncaffeinated