Edward,
Trello has been mentioned a few times on list for project management,
and I'm pretty sure it will do all the things you are asking for:
checklists, notifications, reminders, assignments, subscriptions, and
file attachments, as well as a way to customize the workflow via
different lists.  I have not used it for the purpose you describe, but
have been really happy with its flexibility compared to existing tools.

An overview is here: https://trello.com/tour

~ Shaun

--
Shaun Ellis
User Interace Developer, Digital Initiatives