I personally regard the IRC channel as a "particular flavor" of c4l, rather than the "primary" flavor.  For example, this discussion is happening on the mailing list and not in the IRC channel.  I'd say IRC is one of the main flavors, but I'm not sure I would call anything primary.  I really like zoia, and find the channel to be a very good complement to the conference.  But I really don't hang out in IRC, and I think many people who read the mailing list and/or attend events don't either.

Regarding people being comfortable with participating in the IRC channel, I think you can't please everyone.  If you stop all the messing around with zoia because some people find it frivolous and irritating, then other people will think the channel has gotten too stuffy and serious.  So I think it's important to keep focused on what is alienating to a large fraction of the community.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"Information wants to be anthropomorphized." -- /. sig