It strikes me from a couple of people's comments -- and from some of my own
experiences -- that there's more going on here than just implementation.
The right implementation is important for adoption, of course, but for a
backup system to be helpful it needs to encourage compliance -- including
things like having the backup folks available for monitoring, remembering
to sign in / turn on walkie talkie / charge batteries, etc. This is
definitely the place where we struggle. We have BOTH an IM-based
beckon-help system AND walkie talkies for intra- and inter-departmental
help requests. But it's very easy to not log into pidgin, to forget that
there's a chat widget on the staff dashboard where you can page help, to
not pick up the radio at the beginning of a shift. Does anyone have any
ideas about how to make this stuff more natural and automatic? Are there
lessons we can learn from the retail world that will help us monitor
service points better?

Also, on some level, the most low-tech solutions can be effective. Right
now the paging system that's had the best track records is this: one of
those hardware store doorbells with a battery-operated button that signals
a remote chime. The button sits on the reference desk and we mash it if the
line starts growing. People in the reference office hear it and come out to
help. The biggest technological hurdle for this system is that the button
is at the very edge of its transmission range, so sometimes mashing on the
button doesn't actually signal the chime.

This solution doesn't meet your dedicated staff subset requirement, but I
wonder if there's something that simple that would work.

Anyway, right now I'm just letting my thoughts spin wildly. But this is an
interesting and practical problem that I'd love to hear more solutions to!

Andreas Orphanides
NCSU Libraries