Subject: [NDSA-CONTENT] help with fleshing out content trends needed
From: "Grotke, Abigail" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, February 12, 2013 12:41 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all,
During our last call we brainstormed a bit on the National Agenda for
Digital Preservation.
http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=CWG_Brainstorm
Cathy and I need some help to flesh out some of the items we discussed.

Cathy and I (plus two others from the coordinating committee) have been
tasked with coming up with a list of Content Trends and we need to write
up (about a paragraph each) about why these emerging content types,
formats, or challenges are important. We're going to include:

* Web archiving and social media - Cathy and I will draft

* Electronic records - Jim Corriden will draft

* Research Data - Tyler Waters will draft

* Something about Big data - articulating what we mean by it, and
challenges around it (specifics TBD)

These items were from the CWG brainstorm and we'd like to explore
further, but we need more information from the folks that brought them
up. My notes were pretty rough so could use help to articulate
thesebetter. If you suggested the idea or have thoughts, could you reply
with a brief statement about the item:

* Film preservation - Capture of and management of digital files
produced from preservation quality digital preservation (uncompressed
video)

* Digital content stored on obsololete or deteriorating media (our
interpretation of what was meant by " Disc images - come off physical
media images, optical media, magnetic storage media" - is that
accurate?)

* file system - linear tape file system (transport between tape, into
cloud) (Bradley, did you bring this one up? Can you help with more
details?)

This is just a first cut, we may add others and the final list for the
National Agenda will be determined in March. So other ideas welcome!

Thanks
Abbie

Abbie Grotke | Web Archiving Team Lead | Office of Strategic Initiatives
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program |
Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/ |
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/>
202-707-2833 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | @agrotke