Hardy,

You may very well be correct, but some programs claim to keep the original
image data unaltered [1], so I was hoping that was the case (basically it
would put some sort of wrapper around the tiff. Tiff2pdf on my Ubuntu box
seems to keep the file sizes very close when I use it so, I'm thinking it
still might be possible. But then again, it might not be and it might
depend o the features of the tiff file (and what pdf version) that is being
used.

If I can't do it, I'll figure something else out, but it would make my life
easier to have to deal with only one file for each representation. But,
I'll live regardless :-)

Edward

[1] http://www.davince.com/docs/tiff2pdf.html is one example of a program
that says this, but it also does point out not all features of tiff are
supported in pdf. It is also old, and they don't offer a program that I can
find that does the reversal.