A friend on friendfeed (no, it's not dead, and yes there's an active
librarian community there) who works in a public library complains thusly:

> I have decided that it's a goal of mine that for all series in the
> fiction collection that circulate reasonably well, I want us to have
> the full series. Right now, this is a cumbersome and annoying task. I
> have to identify the series (because not all of them are cataloged as
> such), see what we have, check the circulation, then check NoveList
> and compare the lists and look for gaps.

This strikes me as an interesting problem, but one that I can't devote
any time to now.

And there's the related question of why this is as difficult as it seems
to be.