I'm trying to see if I can lump my response to some of the responses above.
 Glad to see so much conversation around this.

We've considered setting up VMs, but even that can be quite costly,
especially if a project is or becomes dormant.  Developing a sustainable
"container" is certainly necessary.  Someone earlier said that the Library
often gets projects dumped on them to preserve longterm.  This isn't a
sustainable view of the Library.  These aren't booked dumped out of a
retiring faculty's office.  If one wants to use that comparison, then
Libraries need to assert authority to pick and choose what to maintain.
 Given that these projects usually involve actual faculty output rather
than a faculty's personal library of other people's output, that curation
needs to be more delicate.

Even exporting out of widely used applications, like Omeka, can be a
challenge.  What if it that project is using an Omeka from 4 versions
before?  Or what if the latest Omeka is supporting a lower PHP version than
the campus IT security standards allow?  This is no longer an easy problem
to solve from a technology standpoint because there, and will continue to
be, a growing number of scenarios to try to support.

I hesitate to want to use "it's broken" as a trigger to pull something down
because the impression could be that the Library can't support what it has
committed to support.  I'd rather there be term limits and re-evaluations
at a term limit.  Additionally in the face of decreasing funding, I'm not
seeing a lot of institutional prioritization that includes funding.  So the
expectation has to be support through neutral funding or less.

Tim

GTalk/Yahoo/Skype/Twitter: timmcgeary
484-294-7660 (cell)