Hi all,,_2013_Meeting_Minutes

Here are the meeting minutes from last wednesday's CWG meeting. Please let me know if you were on the call but don't see your name listed.

Many thanks to Anne Harrsion for taking minutes for us! Please look for the July meeting Doodle poll coming soon.


Attendees (16)

 *   Ashenfelder, Mike | Library of Congress | [log in to unmask]
 *   Coates, Midge | Auburn University | [log in to unmask]
 *   Daigle, Bradley | University of Virginia | [log in to unmask]
 *   Grotke, Abbie | Web Archiving Team Lead, Library of Congress, and Co-Chair of the NDSA Content Working Group | [log in to unmask] | 202-707-2833 | @agrotke
 *   Harrison, Anne | Federal Library & Information Center Committee (FLICC) | [log in to unmask]
 *   Hartman, Cathy | Associate Dean of Libraries, University of North Texas/ Co-Chair of the NDSA Content Working Group | [log in to unmask]
 *   Haws, Barbara | New York Philharmonic | [log in to unmask]
 *   Hoebelheinrich, Nancy | Knowledge Motifs LLC [log in to unmask]
 *   Howard, Rachel | Digital Initiatives Librarian, University of Louisville | [log in to unmask]
 *   McAninch, Glen | Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives | [log in to unmask]
 *   McMillan, Gail | Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University | [log in to unmask]
 *   Moffatt, Christie | National Library of Medicine | [log in to unmask]
 *   Reib, Linda | Arizona State Library, Archives, and Public Records | [log in to unmask]
 *   Rossum, Deborah |Digital Content Manager| SCOLA |712-566-2202| [log in to unmask]
 *   Truman, Gail | Truman Technologies | [log in to unmask]
 *   Wurl, Joel | National Endowment for the Humanities | [log in to unmask]

Content team Updates

Arts & Humanities Team This team is considering its mission, and the idea of merging with the Cultural Heritage team.

Science, Technology, Medicine, and Math Team Science, MT&M Team - no update. There was a discussion of how to promote the case studies that have been written and posted. Perhaps highlight them in a blog post. Christie will follow up in this regard concerning the two scientific content case studies.

Government Team Anne Harrison completed a draft of a case study for federal legislative histories. She displayed the document and reviewed it during the meeting.

Glen mentioned that there is already a community collecting this type of content. Perhaps NDSA could help in the area of methods for preservation, for example, information on creating persistent links, migrating content, creating checksums. Someone commented on the risk factor of dispersed distribution as an issue.

NDSA case studies define a problem and do not necessarily suggest solutions.

We can't anticipate how people will use case studies. Cathy mentioned seeing one of the news case studies cited in a grant proposal she reviewed.

This case study is still a work in progress. Anne will get feedback from the Government Content Team, then present to the Content WG, and possibly to NDSA for comment.

Tim Baker is working on a case study for land records.

News Team Abbie reported that the news team case studies were published but there have been no follow up meetings to discuss next steps.

Brainstorming Content Matters blog posts

The text for a blog on state initiatives is done. A blog from Chris Dietrich at the National Park Service is in the queue. Organize multiple interviews around a topic area. Keep the Content Matters blog in mind when you attend meetings and conferences - good places to conduct interviews. Ask about reasons for blogging - professional and personal. Highlight case studies. These can also be used to inform case studies - what are obstacles/strategies for reaching out to communities?

Summer meeting

Should we try to meet in person? When/where?

We tentatively scheduled a meeting on Wednesday, July 24, 5:15-6:30 pm. We will try to reserve a room at the conference hotel, but if that is not possible, we'll meet at a restaurant or other place nearby.

Abbie and Cathy reported that we are scheduled for a lightning talk at the Digital Preservation conference on Tuesday afternoon, July 23. It will be 5 minutes on our case studies.

Next Meeting

There was some discussion about holding a Working Group meeting before the Digital Preservation 2013 conference. It normally would be July 3, but a few members will not be able to attend. It was decided to send a Doodle poll to see which date is better (July 3 or July 10). We will review the lightning talk and the agenda for the Digital Preservation conference.


Abbie Grotke | Web Archiving Team Lead | Office of Strategic Initiatives
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program | Library of Congress |<>
202-707-2833 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | @agrotke


To unsubscribe from the NDSA-CONTENT list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: