> it looks like LCSH
> is moving past this string-based hierarchy in favor of one expressed in
> terms of linked data.
-- Oh, I've never received that impression.  Pre-coordination - which you referred to as "hierarchical sets of terms" - is alive and well.  A number of studies were done in the second half of the 2000s that looked at the creation of LCSH headings.  Pre-coordination received significant attention in these studies and was ultimately confirmed as a good thing.

Who knows why the precoordinated heading that was once used for "Mexican War, 1846-1848" was replaced, but that probably happened in 1986 (or 1991) based on the creation and most-resent modification times on that record.  In other words, at a time when the notion of Linked Data was non-existent.

Yours,
Kevin